Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

I absolutely LOVED this book. It had every element that I loved, about Greek mythology. Angelini has written this story brilliantly. From the first 50 pages, Helen and Lucas grab your attentions with their first look at each other. I knew I was gonna like the book due to its popularity + Mythology:)

There were lots of surprises in the novel, also some that shocked me, and wanted me to read more of this great book. I was reading it slowly to understand all the complex relationships in the book. It is easy to understand which character belongs to each house. I thought that was a neat part of the mythology, some of the twists with the Furies, etc.

I had a little of a love/hate relationship with Lucas (only once) during one part of the novel with his fight with Helen at one point (if you read it, you know where). But his character was really developed. His relationship with Helen goes way back. I wont give too much away about some of the scenes which were really loveable (wish I had a Lucas) but with the talk of the Trojan War and how each character resembles a part of the past from that period of time, guess who he resembles_________. (Not saying)I really loved Angelini's reference about this plot. I took a Greek class in university (this is more interesting) I Heart Lucas Delos!!!

Helen, who is the main character. She was a unique character, who has really cool powers, gets to fall in love with Lucas (jealous) she has a cool necklace that had a lot of meaning behind it! Herself as a character, she is strong, trustworthy, loyal friend, and has awesome Goddess powers of 2 gods! I cant wait until more stories about her and Lucas together.. wants second book to come sooner:)

Plus an even better surprise is when her mother comes back in the picture!! I was reading the last half of the book as fast as I can to see what happened to Helen, Lucas, Hector, Jason, Claire. I loved each character, I want to know whats next for these characters in the next book!! If you like the concept of Greek Mythology, you will enjoy this book. The next book in the series is called Dreamless, which am really excited for, but it comes out in May 2012.

Overall, one GREAT book, I really didn't find any flaws with the writing. Some parts of the narrations was from Helen, Lucas, Creon, Daphne, which I thought was really good, and gave us some perspective from this other characters. I am giving it 5/5 stars due to its great plot, characters, and love story. I now am excited to see what these lovebirds do in the next chapter. I will probably re-read this !!

Cover: I love the cover, and its shiny and beautiful which draws you to this wonderful novel!!

★★★★★ Loved

Upcoming:  I will be having an interview with the author to come in the near future, keep a look out for this! If you have any questions to ask her, leave a comment!


Visit her official website.
Thanks Amanda

Synopsis:

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.


Remember to also check out my interview with Josephine Angelini: --> HERE

Comments

  1. I LOVED THE BOOK! GREAT REVIEW TOO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starcrossed, Josephine Angelini's debut novel is a must read for anyone who enjoys reading about Greek mythology. Sixteen-year-old Helen Hamilton has spent her entire life living on Nantucket, a sheltered area to be sure. But Helen's always been the little bit different one, a fact only compounded now that she's tortured by what have to be hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood.

    Then, there's the new family that's moved to the island. Helen's best friend couldn't be more intrigued by them and everyone else can't help noticing how gorgeous they all are - but Helen, known to be very beautiful herself - has a very different reaction. To one of the boys, Lucas, in particular.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I try to get back to all comments, so check the box for follow up emails, or give me the link to your blog and I'll stop by! I love reading comments!

Thanks Amanda

Popular posts from this blog

BIG Giveaway Surprise

March Madness Box Giveaway!!!

Mid-Winter's Eve Giveaway Hop